Ian Bousfield International Tenor Trombone Solo Competition Requirements
With auditions, concerts, and performance opportunities being cut for musicians all around the world, we decided that now was the time to team up with Ian Bousfield to give trombonists a reason to stay active.
- You must have been born on or after January 1, 1996.
- You may not be engaged by a professional full-time orchestra at the time of the competition.
Please register here if you meet the above requirements. Once complete, please come back to this page to pay your application fee.
$20 (US). Please pay this fee once you’ve submitted your application.
- All materials must be received by March 15, 2021 @ 12 pm US CDT.
- All winners will be notified on April 15, 2021.
- Concertino by Ferdinand David (first movement only, no piano)
- Tuba Mirum from Mozart’s Requiem
- Solo of your choice from any era or style. Feel free to show what it is that you really do well! No time limit but choose something that will make your biggest impact!
We accept all types of recordings. There are just a few important guidelines:
- The video should be recorded in landscape (16:9) format.
- The recording quality should be at least in HD quality (720p).
- Absolutely no editing of any kind is permitted within a solo piece. It is permitted to trim the beginning or end of each video file.
- The repertoire can be submitted on three separate videos and recorded from a single, uninterrupted camera angle.
- The performer should be clearly visible in the video throughout the performance.
- The video file should be named ‘your name + birthdate’. For example: ‘John Smith 01.05.2009’
- Accepted file formats include MP4, MPEG, MPG, MOV, AVI, WMV. We welcome recordings made by mobile phone.
- Please upload your video to a file-sharing service such as WeTransfer, Dropbox, Google Drive, MailBigFile, etc. Then send the link to your video to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not send the video itself to the above email address.
- We will accept your application upon receiving your video file and payment.
A video guide as to how to prepare by Ian Bousfield will be sent to you on your application.
Who are the judges?
We have assembled a truly world-class set of judges to listen to you and assess where you are right now, including Matthew Gee, James Markey, Stefan Schulz, and Helen Vollam. Read about them here.